Tel +44 (0) 1362 288 185
Offering the best of the Norfolk countryside
Yaxham tower mill was built by William Critoph in 1860. The 48 foot, six storey tarred tower had a ground diameter of 20 feet that narrowed by 2 feet per floor culminating with an ogee cap and a ball finial that was still a garden ornament in the 1980s. The four double shuttered sails drove 3 pairs of underdriven stones.
Reuben Tilney ran Yaxham_smockmill in Paper Street from 1845 -
The postmil was again put up for auction in May 1834 but may not have been sold.
John Banyard died in 1842 and Mrs. Charlotte Sophia Astley, who had already taken
over the mortgage, bought the property in 1847, only to die later that year. The
postmill was left to Ellen, who was the wife of Revd. Frederick Brewster Thompson,
although a dispute in ownership validity arose at this point. Eventually the mill
was run by tenants Robert Springhall, 1834 -
William Critoph was also working Mattishall_Mill_Road_towermill in 1883 and he was a descendent of Robert Critoph of Gresham who in turn was probably related to the Critoph milling family of Sheringham and Upper Sheringham.
William Critoph bought and moved the smockmil to his own property that he had bought,
complete with the postmill in 1857. The towermill was then built using timber sawn
on a bench within the smockmill.
Thus at that time, uniquely, he had one of each of the three main types of windmills on the same property.
In its heyday the mill was providing flour to the adjacent bakery, which produced bread for sale at the shop on the same site. The site included workers' cottages, the bakery and the miller's house, now the Yaxham Mill restaurant with accommodation.
For more information and photos please click on the following link: